elvenjaneite

Stacey Lee
Wintersong
S. Jae-Jones

Eighty Days

Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World - Matthew Goodman

I knew a bit about Nellie Bly and her trip around the world, but nothing at all about Elizabeth Bisland, plus all the books I’d read about Nellie Bly were children’s biographies. So I was very interested in this adult non-fiction account of their race. Goodman weaves together the two stories nicely, highlighting the contrast between the races and the women’s characters, as well as a few similarities (both were self-made women who had risen from poor origins). His style is occasionally a little digressionary–did we really need the whole history of train travel in the US?–but overall is quite engaging. I did feel that the suggested conclusion at the end (Bly won the race but Bisland had a happier life) seemed a little thin on actual evidence rather than supposition.

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2013/03/#Eighty%20Days