elvenjaneite

Wintersong
S. Jae-Jones

Walk on Earth a Stranger

Walk on Earth a Stranger - Rae Carson

Set in 1849, this historical fantasy follows Lee, a young girl whose parents are murdered. She can sense gold nearby, so when her uncle shows up to claim her and her property, she disguises herself as a boy and sets out on the trail to the California Gold Rush. The focus here is very much on Lee, but there’s a wider cast of characters in the people she encounters and travels with. This one was exciting, but I personally felt that it was a little short on substance somehow; the action felt almost episodic. But I liked the friendship between Lee and Jefferson, and the way the wagon train functions as a small community. (I was really interested in the way Mrs. Joyner was written as well.)

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2015/11/09/cybils-round-up-carson-and-lee-bonus-hamilton-moment