elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines

Conservation of Shadows

Conservation of Shadows - Yoon Ha Lee

A collection of sff short stories. Lee is Korean-American, and based several of the stories on incidents from Korean history. I found that the sensibility underlying the stories to be clear and beautiful; I can’t speak to how and what has been informed by her heritage, but there’s certainly an awareness of non-western based cultures that is refreshing. I loved the worlds Lee creates, and her characters–often caught between two duties or two loyalties. This is one of the most cohesive anthologies I can remember reading, which I greatly appreciated–while I love short stories, I often feel that collections lack coherence. If I have a complaint, it’s that occasionally the endings felt less forceful than I wanted them to be; not rushed, exactly, but compressed in a way that didn’t quite give me the follow-through I wanted. I don’t know if the fault is in the stories, or in me, but this happened often enough for me to notice it.

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/recent-reading-short-stories-romance-and-middle-grade/#Conservation%20of%20Shadows