elvenjaneite

Stacey Covington-Lee
Outrun the Moon
Stacey Lee

Picture Book Monday: September 2013

Mr. Tiger Goes Wild - Peter  Brown Ike's Incredible Ink - Brianne Farley Anton and the Battle - Ole K├Ânnecke Maude The Not-So-Noticeable Shrimpton - Lauren Child, Trisha Krauss Journey - Aaron Becker Aesop's Fables (North-South) - Aesop, Lisbeth Zwerger, Margaret A. Hughes Sukey and the Mermaid - Robert D San Souci If You Want to See a Whale - Julie Fogliano Vampirina Ballerina Hosts a Sleepover - Anne Marie Pace, LeUyen Pham

Mr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter Brown: I like Peter Brown’s books a lot, and his new one has a nice storyline that has a message without feeling too preachy. I also liked the artwork, which seemed a little Klassen-y (I mean that in the best way).

Ike’s Incredible Ink by Brianne Farley: A story of creativity and creative travails.

Anton and the Battle by Ole Konnecke: A fun story of two boys telling tale tales…until a dog provides a sudden dose of reality.

Aesop’s Fables by Lisbeth Zwerger: This collection really shines because of two things. First, the simplicity–one story per page, with one illustration facing. Second, the delicate pen and ink illustrations, which transplant the fables to Switzerland.

Maude by Lauren Child: WELL THAT ENDING WAS UNEXPECTED. I’m glad someone else illustrated it too–gives it a different feel from Child’s other books, as charming as those are.

Journey by Aaron Becker: Favorite book of the month. Beautiful illustrations in a wordless picture book about the power of imagination and creativity, which makes it sound heavy and message-y. It’s not. It’s magical, and when I finished, I flipped back to the beginning and started again. Think David Wiesner, except more ethereal.

Sukey and the Mermaid by Robert D. San Souci: Great mermaid story from South Carolina.

If You Want to See a Whale by Julie Fogliano and Erin Stead: Lovely, poetic. These two make a wonderful team.

Vampirina Ballerina Hosts a Sleepover by Anne Marie Pace and Le Uyen Pham: The charm of this one is in the details, especially Le Uyen Pham’s lovely illustrations.

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2013/09/23/picture-book-monday-september-2013