elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines

Victoria Rebels

Victoria Rebels - Carolyn Meyer

In my opinion, there’s a fascinating YA novel about the teenage Queen Victoria waiting to be written. But this isn’t it. It’s a well-researched biography, and I think Meyer has captured some of the flavor of Victoria’s diaries (lots of CAPITALS and underlined words). The problem is really with appeal–for the reader who’s not interested in Victorian history/Victoria already, there’s not a lot to engage them. And for the reader who is already interested, there’s no new information. It’s fairly standard, and fairly biographical, without a real sense of plot. I also had problems with the form, which seemed awkwardly stuck between an older Victoria looking over the past and a younger Victoria writing in the present. This is one of the few times I wish the story had been written in present tense. It’s a solid biography but nothing more than that.

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/cybils-round-up-october-2013/#Victoria Rebels