elvenjaneite

Outrun the Moon
Stacey Lee

The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West

This is a quick read, which I very much enjoyed. Caymen has always lived with her mother above the doll store her mother owns and runs. They struggle to make ends meet, which makes their rich clientele seem like people from another planet to Caymen. Xander is rich and arrogant, but Caymen finds (much to her surprise) that she enjoys being around him.

I really appreciated the fact that the book takes on the economic difference between the main characters and makes it part of the story. Rather than skirting around the issue, it’s central to the characters and their development from the very beginning. Caymen fundamentally does not trust wealthy people, and Xander’s family is a major roadblock in their relationship–not because they are awful people, but because they have money.

So, that part of the story worked well for me, and I was definitely cheering for the romance. Both Caymen and Xander came across as flawed-but-awesome characters. Yay for that! I could very easily have found them annoying, and instead I really bought into both characters and was pretty darn invested in their relationship.

However, I found that I didn’t really believe the payoffs. All of the resolutions seemed too easy and oddly unexplored–like there was the potential for a really wonderful, gut-wrenching book, and instead it was pretty light. I think this is mostly because the part of the plot that relied on Caymen’s mom and her secrets and history did not really reach the level it could have. Also, it’s partly because the pacing was off at the end–too much happening all at once, and everything pretty much instantly resolved.

Would I recommend this one? Absolutely! It’s a great, fun read, and in terms of the difference in the title, quite well done. It’s perfect for a light romantic book with some entertaining and sweet characters.

Book source: public library
Book information: Harper Teen, 2013; YA

I read this book for the 2013 Cybils. You’ll be able to see all of my Cybils reviews by clicking here.

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/the-distance-between-us-by-kasie-west