elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines

The Summer Prince

The Summer Prince -

I liked a lot about this one–the writing was lovely and it’s the kind of post apocalyptic world I can get behind. I believed in the way the society developed and I thought the setting was really nicely done. I also liked June and thought her relationship with art was more believable than it sometimes is in YA books. However, I agree with Charlotte that I expected Gil and Enki to have some relationship to, you know, Gilgamesh and Enki. This does not seem unreasonable to me! Moreover, this is one of those books where I was totally enamored of the book while I was reading and then when I stopped, I had questions. I did like it a lot though, so if you like the idea of dystopias more than you like most YA dystopias, I would recommend this one.

Update: Ana at The Book Smugglers had significant problems with the Brazilian setting, which you may want to consider: http://thebooksmugglers.com/2013/10/smugglers-ponderings-thoughts-on-the-summer-prince-by-alaya-dawn-johnson.html

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/recent-reading-6-12-2013/#The%20Summer%20Prince