elvenjaneite

Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
East - Edith Pattou
Okay, it helped that "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" has always been one of my favorite fairy tales, but this re-telling is just great! I loved the way Pattou expanded on the directional thing, making the family originally a family of map-makers, and giving each of the eight children in the family a different birth-direction, a fact which is very important later on. Rose was just the right amount of spunky and sweet.

I'm not a big fan of books told from a number of different points of view. Two I can handle, but more than that starts to feel disjointed. I feel this way about The Moonstone, for example. (Which is why I'll watch the movie rather than read the book. Greg Wise and Keeley Hawes aren't bad motivators either, I'll admit.) East was no exception, but I liked the book overall enough that I ignored my inward mutterings.

No content advisory that I can think of, although I did read this several days ago and things like that tend to fade very quickly for me. I am pretty sure that there's nothing objectionable though.

One of the things I liked about this was the way it pulled in bits of historical information without ever feeling too bound by the real world or too anachronistic in feel. It's a fine line to walk and Pattou did it very well.

Highly recommended to slightly more mature readers.