elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
These Old Shades - Georgette Heyer These Old Shades is the first book in the Alastair series; the other two are Devil's Cub and An Infamous Army. I read Devil's Cub first and then Infamous Army. As it just so happens, Devil's Cub is basically my all-time favorite Heyer book and Infamous Army is excellent in a different way than her usual. So These Old Shades had a lot to live up to. Ultimately, I enjoyed it, especially on a second read-through, but it didn't quite meet my expectations. Set before the French Revolution, it follows Justin Alastair, Duke of Avon, through his wild life in Anjou. When his life collides with a young page named Leon, he begins a new course which will ultimately change everything.

I enjoyed seeing a new view of Avon and of Leon *cough*, and especially of Rupert! Nonetheless, Devil's Cub remains my favorite (mostly because of Mary).