elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
Mortal Engines - Philip Reeve A highly-imaginative futuristic book, set in a world where cities can move about and essentially act as large predators, fueling themselves by eating other cities. Focuses on several young people who gradually find out the truth about the City of London and those who run it. I really enjoyed it and will be looking for the rest of the series. I was surprised by the amount of death in the book.

***

I was never wowed by the writing of this one, but the premise and characterisation were so interesting that I was willing to give that a pass. Tom Natsworthy, third class apprentice to the Guild of Historians in the great Traction City of London, believes everything is as usual: London is pursuing the smaller cities it preys on, the Historians are boring. But there are more things going on under the surface than he is aware of and eventually they begin to come to light. (Jan 2010)