elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
The London Eye Mystery - Siobhan Dowd Ted’s Aunt Gloria and cousin Salim are stopping in London to visit on their way to New York to live. While there, Ted, his sister Kate, and Salim set out to go on the London Eye. But due to a mysterious set of circumstances, only Salim ends up going–and when the Eye comes down, he’s not there.

His disappearance threatens to rip the family apart. In the end, it’s up to Ted and Kate to set aside their differences and solve the mystery.

This was a great book. It didn’t sugar-coat Kate and Ted’s relationship, but it didn’t make disliking each other okay either. Ted was a great narrator, sympathetic and interesting. I loved the details of Ted’s “different operating system”. At the same time, that did bring up my one minor quibble: I’m glad that Dowd left Ted’s syndrome unnamed at first, but by the end it seemed a bit coy. I’m sure she was trying to avoid having either Ted or the book labeled, and I can support that, but it did annoy me just a smidge (it’s fairly obviously Asperger’s).

I did figure out the solution to the mystery fairly quickly, but I think for a reader in its intended age range, The London Eye Mystery would be a fun, tricky story and a great riff on the classic “locked room” idea.