elvenjaneite

Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
Life As We Knew It - Susan Beth Pfeffer by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Opening line--"Lisa is pregnant."

Okay. Wow. This book freaked me out. If I ever hear of anything about to crash into the moon, I'll start hoarding food immediately.

Miranda is just a normal 16 year old, bored with school, worrying that she's losing her two friends. Then an asteroid hits the moon, pushing it closer to the earth. And, as quickly as that, her old life is over.

Overall I found the whole thing both eerie and convincing. I mean, I'm really not a scientist, but the effects of the moon moving closer to the earth sounded plausible at least. And in fiction, that's all I really ask for. Miranda's story rings true, mostly. (I was a little less convinced by her relationship with Megan and Sammi.) Her interactions with various family members was definitely one of the highlights for me. I think we sometimes forget that if something that drastic did happen but our families survived, we wouldn't necessarily all change as much as we think. That is, the tensions that you see pre-asteriod and post-asteroid are essentially the same, especially between Miranda and her mother. Magnified by the intensity of the situation, sure.

I also really liked the fact that despite Miranda's mother's hyper-preparedness (she instantly buys all the canned food she can and plans a vegetable garden) things don't work. The volcanic eruptions block out the sun and make the vegetable garden irrelevant. Sometimes it's easy to read these sort of apocalyptic books and think that at least I know how to make bread and cook and garden and knit and sew, etc. But having those skills might not always mean you're okay.

Despite being interested in the book, I never fully connected with the characters. It didn't really bother me that much--I think a lot of it is because of the situation. I was pretty sure from the beginning that at least some of these characters were going to die, so let's not get too attached.

I'd definitely recommend this for anyone who likes slightly dystopian* or apocalyptic stories. There's no particular content, other than a few minor swear words.

* Firefox's spell check doesn't recognize dystopian and suggests you change it to dystrophy or Utopian.