elvenjaneite

Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
Scumble - Ingrid Law by Ingrid Law

Opening line--"Mom and Dad had known about the wedding at my uncle Autry's ranch for months."

Yay! I love this book! It's a great sequel/companion book to Savvy. Ledger is a great narrator too, with a sympathetic and funny voice. Fedora is kind of adorably annoying. The tension with Ledge's parents seemed like a realistic one with a good resolution. It was nice to see tension that arose because of a character trying to please their parents rather than be super-rebellious.

Families again! They're everywhere! If I were smart, I would come up with a theory about why this is and and why I've predominently noticed it in middle-grade books. At any rate, the extended Beaumont/Kale/O'Connell clan is a pretty awesome one. I thought the central conflict of the book was also very well handled and it made it nuanced in a nice way.

I loved Rocket. It was nice to see him all grown up. Mibs and Will and the rest too, but we spent more time with Rocket in this story, so we got to know him a little better. And his description of scumbling is great:
Momma could explain it to you better...But the way I understand it, scumbling is a technique painters use to tone down a color so bright it jumps right off the canvas--so intense it takes over--making it hard to notice anything else about the painting. Scumbling doesn't get rid of that bright color, it blends it better with the rest of the picture. It evens everything out. That way the painting feels more balanced...The people and the world around you are not the painting. Scumbling is not about you tryingg to fit in with the rest of the world; it's about making your savvy fit in better with you p. 250

I pretty much figured out how his relationship with Ledge was going to resolve, but it was still very satisfying when we got there.

The wedding scene towards the beginning was great too--it was so full-of-wonder. Of course, then everything goes crazy. But hey, life is like that, right?

Sarah Jane was an interesting character. I wasn't quite sure what to make of her for awhile, but in the end I warmed up to her. One of the reasons I like her is a huge enormous spoiler, so I won't say it. But it's still pretty neat.

My one tiny (really tiny) complaint is that I never got the exact timeline from the story itself. The front flap informed me that it was 9 years after Savvy, but without that I would have had a hard time figuring out how much time had passed. Still, that's a small complaint.

All in all: YAY!

My other Ingrid Law review:
Savvy (2009)

Book source: public library
Book information: Dial and Walden Media*, 2010; 8-12**

* I'm somewhat bemused by Walden's presence. In what sense are they in partnership, and why? Granted, I've done absolutely no research into the subject, so it's entirely possible that everyone else knows and I don't. If you do have some insight, please tell me!
** A note on ages. I'm getting them from the publishers. Because I read books in a fairly wide age-range I thought it might be helpful in sorting out what lies where on the spectrum. I don't mind the "9 and up" kind of things, but I'm surprised and slightly annoyed by these "8-12" or "9-14" things. Why is there a top-cap? Pshaw.

Originally published here