elvenjaneite

Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
The Ask and the Answer - Patrick Ness by Patrick Ness

Opening line: "Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."

This is the sequel to The Knife of Never Letting Go, and what a sequel it is. I won't say anything about the plot, since it's hugely and enormously spoily from the get-go.

But.

Oh, Todd. You're breaking my heart.

The Knife of Never Letting Go showed that Ness isn't afraid to pull his punches (Ow, Todd). He certainly doesn't here. People die, people we care about do bad things. People we don't like about do good things.

The moral ground is constantly shifting, leaving the reader as uncertain as Todd and Viola. Ness walks a fine line between moral complexity and making every single character unsympathetic. I'm not entirely sure it's successful, but it certainly does add depth to the story.

Despite the general depth of the book, it's also a quick read, with a plot that pulls you right along. That can be a difficult mix to achieve sometimes, but I think Ness does it well.

I didn't mind the multiple character narration, unusually for me. Perhaps I am growing as a person.

Overall, this is excellent. If you're a fan of dystopian fiction, I'd suggest giving the trilogy a go.

Book source: public library