elvenjaneite

The Great Wall Of Lucy Wu
Wendy Wan-Long Shang
Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines
A Coalition of Lions - Elizabeth Wein I think the most important thing to say about these books is that they’re not The Winter Prince. They certainly build off of that story, and I would most definitely read it first. But The Winter Prince is one of those books that I don’t think you could write a real sequel to. Nonetheles, A Coalition of Lions and The Sunbird are both fascinating and well-written. Telemakos is a wonderful character who’s reminding me more and more of Megan Whalen Turner’s Gen. I’ve got the next one ordered and I can’t wait till it gets here!
-----
And then I went on an Elizabeth Wein re-reading kick. I left out The Winter Prince, which I’d re-read quite recently and which always feels like it’s only tenuously part of the series anyway. (I don’t mean that as a criticism at all–just that I’m in a different mood when I read it than when I read the rest.) I love Goewin, who continues to be a fantastic character. The sense of being trapped between bad decisions and trying to find a way through them is very strong here. And, finally, Camlann makes me sad. (Authors are mean people. I may have mentioned this before.) [Jan. 2011]