elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy - Sharyn November, Francesca Lia Block, Diana Wynne Jones, Ellen Klages, Sharon Shinn, Patricia A. McKillip, Emma Bull, Kelly Link, Tamora Pierce, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Alison Goodman, Charles de Lint, Kara Dalkey, Alan Dean Foster, Carol Emshwiller, Tanith Lee, Pamela Dean I have previously read the first and second books in this anthology series, which is largely notable for being a YA anthology (something we do not have enough of).

In general, I tend to have mixed reactions to anthologies, especially those with stories by a number of different authors. This was no exception. I think the other two were generally stronger, but there were several stories I enjoyed in here.

"I'll Give You My Word" by Diana Wynne Jones (sob) was a delight. It's mostly typical Jones, with a slightly mad family where the kids end up saving the day, but the parents really do care about them. The world of the story had a slightly different feel than most of hers though.

"Wintermoon Wish" by Sharon Shinn was a nice addition to her Safe-Keeper series. I enjoyed the look at some of the characters later on. I think it would probably work best for a reader who is familiar with the series and the backstory, both in terms of worldbuilding and characters.

"Quills" by Carol Emshwiller had a fascinating concept and great narrator. I did feel that it got a tad heavy-handed at the end, though.

"Cousins" by Pamela Dean. This was so lovely--quiet most of the time, but great characters and setting. I believe I've read one or two other Liavek stories, but this was by far my favorite.

"In the House of the Seven Librarians" by Ellen Klages had a fun concept and I enjoyed it, but I felt like the librarians never quite managed to get beyond the stereotyped view that we get at the beginning. I think Klages was trying to, but I didn't ultimately feel like we got there.

Book source: public library