elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction - Jane Yolen;Kara Dalkey;Sherwood Smith;Elizabeth Wein;Nancy Springer;Laurel Winter;Nina Kiriki Hoffman;Louise Marley;Nick O'Donohoe ed. by Sharyn November

Yes, I skipped the second one. It was semi-accidental. I ordered it through ILL and they accidentally sent me the first one. Which was fine. I re-read it. I enjoyed it. Then I ordered the third one because I had some sort of weird prejudice against the second one at that point. I know this is ridiculous, and I will read it. Eventually.

Anyway. My weird tics aside, I enjoy this anthology series. It feels much more solid to me than the Windling/Datlow anthologies tend to be, which I appreciate. And reading the list of authors who've contributed something is delicious.

Notes:
* "Kingmaker" by Nancy Springer. Wow, great story. An interesting premise, wonderful characters, and a bittersweet tone, all in twenty pages. That's impressive.

* "Singing on a Star" by Ellen Klages was very haunting. It's hard to describe exactly, but it's definitely one of the stories that stuck with me.

* "Ferryman" by Margo Lanagan. Told from the point of view of Charon's daughter. If that doesn't get you, nothing will. Plus, Margo Lanagan!

* "Three Twilight Tales" by Jo Walton is (are?) just beautiful. They read like a prose poem to me, with that same sense of not being able to understand everything that poetry gives me.

* "Power and Magic" by Marly Youmans was unusual and lovely. The tone was just right for the story and India has such a great voice.

* "Court Ship" by Sherwood Smith continues the story of Mel's family, this time focusing on her son. I liked it basically for that reason. The heroine was nice too, but...yeah, basically for Raec. It did give a great insight into some of the backstory I didn't know about.

* "Fear and Loathing in Lalanna" by Nick O'Donohoe has my vote as the funniest story in the whole thing.

* And, rounding up the collection, Elizabeth Wein's "Something Worth Doing" managed to tell a story of a WWII woman pilot without making me say, "Like THAT would ever happen," which, given the territory she's working with, is impressive. But then, it's Elizabeth Wein! (*tries not to fangirl and fails*)

Book source: Inter-library loan