elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
Foundling - D.M. Cornish Wow. And, um, wow again. I am seriously impressed by this book. It has many of the elements of a Proper Fairy Tale–the young hero sets out on a journey, not knowing his true identity, etc–but they are treated in such a masterful way that I never felt annoyed by them. Rossamund (the ‘u’ needs an umlaut, but I don’t know how to add them :( ), our hero, is both endearing and interesting. And the world-building! Good grief. It’s impressive in the Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell way–I found myself comparing the two several times. Cornish’s drawings are gorgeous and contribute greatly to the sense of the Half-Continent as a real place, inhabited by real people... Full review: Foundling

-----

I cannot possibly say too many good things about this book. The worldbuilding is incredible, as it ought to be given that Cornish spent something like ten years developing it. Rossamund is a great main character, full of pluck and determination. It’s a massive and consuming book and I oh so very highly recommend it. As an added bonus, Cornish is the author of probably my favorite quote about writing fantasy as a Christian. [2010 in books]