elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
The Greyfriar - Clay Griffith, Susan Griffith Agh, so many mixed feelings!

On the one hand, the writing can best be described as sloppy. The characters were trite and cliched. The setting didn't seem to know whether it wanted to be contemporary or pseudo-Victorian/steampunky.

And yet, I kept reading, because there is something in the story that's quite fascinating. There's one big surprise, which I had called almost immediately, but I still kept reading.

Several characters mentioned that the vampire uprising was possible because in 1870 humans were losing their faith in magic and religion but hadn't yet developed their powers with steel and steam. Okay, that makes sense, and it's pretty accurate historically. And then, oh dear friends, then I got to the part where the main character basically says that religion, specifically Christianity, and magic are the same thing. I'm sorry, but that is just not down with me. I did finish, partly because I wasn't sure that was actually what I had read, until I went back to check.

So in short: I was willing to overlook the annoyingness of writing and characters, but I have major problems with the philosophical underpinnings and that's what really ruined this book for me.