elvenjaneite

Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
Linger - Maggie Stiefvater by Maggie Stiefvater

I can't give you the opening line because it contains a major spoiler for Shiver.

So, I feel like I should just write an ode to Maggie Stiefvater at this point. Because somehow, although I've occasionally had slight problems getting through her books, they always win me over. Every. single. time.

Linger was easy though. Linger is awesome. I wasn't even bothered by the multiple narrators (maybe I'm growing up?). Isabel is a nice contrast to Grace, as Cole is a nice contrast to Sam. I was annoyed by the storyline with Grace's parents, but mostly I was annoyed AT them. I did wonder why they had done such an abrupt about-face from the first book--it seemed a little random as written. Just a little explanation could have helped that.

BUT. This is still an awesome book. It made me cry*. Okay, not A Tale of Two Cities or Jellicoe Road crying (which is just as well), but several separate episodes. And yes, I want the next book now, not next summer. Why did I start to read current authors again? Because waiting for the next book to be published stinks.

I know this review has been a bit light on content, mostly because I can't tell you anything. It would spoil the first book. But for fans of a sweet love story (as opposed to some others I could mention) and for those who want a little bite** to their fantasy, this is excellent.

Book source: public library
Book information: Scholastic, 2010; YA

My other Maggie Stiefvater reviews:
Shiver (2010)
Ballad (2010)

* It has occurred to me that whenever I write this in a review, or want to write this in a review, I mean it as a compliment. I mean that the book didn't annoy me, that I genuinely liked the characters and cared about what happened to them. I mean that the book had something deeper to it, something that touched me.

** Bad pun. Unintentional. I apologize.