elvenjaneite

Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines
Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood
False Colours - Georgette Heyer I had a vague idea when I started this one that I had really disliked it the first time I read it and vowed to never read it again. By the time I finished, I had convinced myself that this was a delusion of my strange brain. But it wasn’t. I went to add it to my Goodreads account, only to discover that it was already there, with a two star rating.

I do not know what was wrong with me. No, seriously. This is now going on my list of favorite Georgette Heyer books. Not only are Kit and Cressy totally likable characters, they feel real and they feel like they could actually fall in love, in real life. And, you know, actually be married happily. I mean, I love Heyer’s wild plots and mad characters, but you do have to wonder if they’d ever exist. Here, her characters not only could exist, they show that they can even be completely romantic without having abductions, etc.

Of course, as soon as I say that, I realize that Kit is pretending to be his twin brother who has disappeared after sort of proposing to Cressy. All the same, I stand by my opinion that they feel like real people who could be happy together.

And, just for that, False Colours, you get a four star rating.

Book source: Inter-library loan

-----

One of my favorite Heyer novels. I think I like this one partly because it’s a mad situation, but the characters aren’t just in it for larks. [Sept. 2011]