elvenjaneite

The Secret of a Heart Note
Stacey Covington-Lee
Outrun the Moon
Stacey Lee
Splendors and Glooms - Laura Amy Schlitz A book that falls awkwardly on the mg/YA divide. I’ve heard some good arguments for counting it as mg (and therefore Newbery eligible) but to me the tone seemed more YA. Also, I do agree that Lizzie and Parcefal read young, but I thought they were supposed to. Anyway, none of that really has anything to do with the story. The language here is beautiful–Schlitz is an effortless prose writer and does well with the Victorian language. I was personally less taken with the story, partly because there were very few surprises, aside perhaps from Dr. Wintermute turning out to be not as bad as I originally expected. So, it’s a good book, definitely, but in the context of Newbery? I’m not sure. And I do know I just tried to make a case for Splendours as YA and then talked about the Newbery–I think it reads too young to be a real Printz contenda, but we’ll see if anyone argues that when Someday talks about it.