elvenjaneite

Outrun the Moon
Stacey Lee
Wintersong
S. Jae-Jones
The Crown of Embers - Rae Carson Crown of Embers by Rae Carson: Almost all of my reader friends looooved the first book and I…didn’t. But I had enough interest to check out the second, and I’m glad I did. Though I was bothered by the pacing and heavy-handed pointing out of the romance (I don’t object to the pairing, just the “He’s so handsome! But I must not think this! But I do!” which was happening for a longish time), I thought Carson did a fabulous job of deepening Elisa’s character and showing both her weaknesses and strengths as a queen. I do wish that she would be a tad less subtle with her world-building, and I say this as the queen & champion of subtle world-building. There was a line or two that read like these are possibly far in the future settlers on another planet, ala Dragonriders of Pern? But to be honest, I have never liked that aspect of Pern and the strategy in general feels a bit like a cop-out. Or am I totally misreading this? Comment! Tell me! I am confused.