elvenjaneite

The Great Wall Of Lucy Wu
Wendy Wan-Long Shang
Libriomancer
Jim C. Hines
Captain Vorpatril's Alliance - Lois McMaster Bujold IVAN! I love Ivan! Well, really I just love everyone in the extended Vorkosigan/Vorpatril/Vorbarra clan, including Gregor who I may have a massive book crush on (I admit nothing). And it took me a really long time to figure out that Bujold is at least partly playing with the Ivan the Idiot figure from Russian folk tales (I wonder which came first, the name or the character?). Because of course, Ivan is not really an idiot. He’s just not Miles. I liked Captain Vorpatril a lot, and I think it would make an interesting counterpoint to A Civil Campaign. I’ve heard rumors that this may be the last Vorkosigan book. If so, I think I will always re-read the series in terms of internal chronology, because Cryoburn is definitely a stronger ending for the whole thing. Which I think Bujold must realize, since she’s set CV’sA a good few years before Cryoburn. The only odd thing is that there were a number of infodumps–interesting ones, with lots of details about Barrayaran & Cetagandan history that haven’t necessarily appeared before, but infodumps nonetheless. Surely this is not the place to enter the series? Surely anyone trying to will realize this and start at the beginning? Moreover, I’m not sure that I don’t prefer not knowing (triple negative, sorry) all the details, having to do the work of figuring out the different cultures. I don’t need to be told that Russian, Greek, & French are the major ancestral groups of Barrayar; I’ve known that since about book 3. If this is the last book, I almost wonder if she was just dumping in all the bits she knew and hadn’t found a place for but wanted to make part of the canon.