elvenjaneite

Wintersong
S. Jae-Jones

Court of Fives

Court of Fives - Kate Elliott

I really liked a lot of things about this one, from the setting to the complexities of the family and politics. There are a few Little Women echoes, but they’re mostly at the beginning and I personally didn’t find the comparison hugely helpful. At any rate, Elliott does a nice job of writing a character who is athletic and good at it, but who’s also smart and thoughtful. This is the first in a series (trilogy?) and I’m curious to see how the story will play out. There’s quite a bit here about the effects of colonialism and empire, which I don’t feel qualified to really comment on, but which seemed thoughtful and complex as far as I can tell. Jessamy is a compelling main character and I found that the politics of the world, and the effects it has on her and her family, worked really well for me. I do think that the book is maybe a little longer than it needs to be, although I appreciated that Elliott really shows how much training is involved in running the Fives.

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2015/10/13/cybils-roundup-moskowitz-elliott-larbalestier