elvenjaneite

Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
Sarah Gristwood

Rebel Mechanics

Rebel Mechanics - Shanna Swendson

Alternate history, where the British still rule the American colonies in 1888. The main character is Verity Newton, a young governess who finds a job working for one of the families of Magisters who control magic and its use. But the family and Verity herself have secrets. This is one of those books that I found slightly frustrating, because I liked it, but I wanted to love it. It’s a fairly quick and light read, which is really my issue: I felt like it was teetering on the verge of saying something really thoughtful and interesting about colonialism and rebellion and identity, but never quite managed any of those. On the other hand, it’s perhaps not fair to want a book to be something that it’s simply not; certainly if you’re looking for a coherent and fun steampunk adventure, this is a good one!

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/cybils-round-up-rowell-swendson-brockenbrough