elvenjaneite

Outrun the Moon
Stacey Lee

bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/recent-reading-series-extravaganza

The Tropic of Serpents - Marie Brennan

I had a mixed reaction to the first book in this series, but found it engaging enough to want to continue. The second I found mainly frustrating. Oddly, given the first person narration, I felt the story was strongest and most engaging in its worldbuilding aspects, with characters a distant second. Brennan is attempting to walk a tricky line of showing imperialist and racist attitudes without endorsing them, but I’m not sure she succeeds. For me, the portrayal not only of the Moulish but of the land and its environment seemed too deeply rooted in how foreign and strange it was. This combined with Isabella’s paternalistic attitude towards the Moulish made me feel fairly uncomfortable. I’m not sure if I’ll go on to read the third book or not.

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/recent-reading-series-extravaganza