elvenjaneite

Stacey Lee
Wintersong
S. Jae-Jones

The House of Dies Drear

Virginia Hamilton: Cousins; The House of Dies Drear; M. C. Higgins, the Great; The Planet of Junior Brown; Second Cousins - Virginia Hamilton

I hadn’t read this one and I felt like it was important to read at least one book by Virginia Hamilton. If you want to sum up the story in one word: atmospheric. It’s a pretty tight third person narration, focusing on Thomas Small, who is a sensitive kind of person and conveys the eeriness of house and town quite well. I appreciated the way Hamilton draws on the idea of history, and more specifically the history of slavery, as present and important to the story and the characters. It underlies everything in this book, and she never lets us forget it.

Source: http://bysinginglight.wordpress.com/2014/09/24/recent-reading-scalzi-milan-host-hamilton/#The%20House%20of%20Dies%20Drear